Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Altar Call


We've all had them - those "come to Jesus" moments that find us down on our knees. We are inspired by them, and they propel us to lead better lives. We return from these epiphanies vowing to be better people, to make a difference, and to spread the word of the change that has affected us so deeply. Last night was one of those moments. Amidst friends, in the darkened confines of the Horizon Theater in Little 5 Points, I had a religous moment.
Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit to say that it was a "religous" experience. It was, however, a good time for a good cause. My friend invited me to a preview showing of ALTAR BOYZ; the show was a fundraiser for the local Ronald McDonald House. I love theater and philanthropy, so it did not take much arm twisting to get me to attend.
The show follows the performance of a fictitious Christian Pop boy band - The Altar Boyz. This long-running, critically-acclaimed musical comedy is the hilarious story of a Christian boy-band (with one nice Jewish boy) who are nearing the end of their “Raise the Praise” concert tour of church halls and picnics. Matthew, Mark, Luke, Juan and Abraham now have their chance to break into the big time, bringing their soul-saving rhythm and funk to Atlanta. The Altar Boyz aim to rock the masses of all denominations. Like everything I've seen at Horizon, the cast was very professional - the singers all had strong voices, and the comic timing was great.
The show runs from now until November 16, 2008. Tickets are very inexpensive, and it's well worth the cost of admission. Grab your friends, get some tickets, and pray for a good time - I'm sure that God will answer your prayers.

1 comments:

Anna B said...

that's so awesome and definitely something I'd be into...I'll have to look it up. thanks :)