Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Friends, Romans, Countrymen - LENT me your ears!


So, we're in the midst of LENT right now.
For those of you who are heathens, LENT is the thirty days prior to Easter. It is the time from Ash Wednesday until Palm Sunday. Historically, this is a time of penance and reflection for the faithful. During this time, believers choose something near and dear to them to "give up" for Lent. This is a symbolic practice which is meant to remind us of the sacrifices Christ made on our behalf.

Traditional items that you might give up are indulgences like soda, chocolate, dessert, or television. Additionally, some people choose to give up temptations like cigarettes and alcohol. A brave devout few even dare to give up SEX! (Though, let's face it, they probably weren't getting much play to begin with.)

I saw this postcard on POST SECRET, which is one of my favorite sites. Additionally, I heard someone say that they were giving up MySpace for LENT. It got me to thinking...in this modern age we live in, where we have so much accessible, what is a true sacrifice? What is really going to hit home with us and make the meaning of Lent real?
Could you live without your cell phone/crackberry? Maybe you need to give up American Idol for Lent? Perhaps it's your daily dose of Perez Hilton? Hmmm...
Just curious, what are you giving up for LENT (if anything)? If not, what do you think would be a suitable modern sacrifice?
THOUGHTS???

6 comments:

kgore said...

Well, let's see, if I were Catholic I would definitely give up alcohol and sex. Please Catholics, no offense, I love everyone. So, since I am just me, the 4 things near and dear to me are my children, I would definitely give them up - OMG!!! I am Catholic, Imagine that!

DK said...

Can we recommend to others that they give things up for lent? Is that acceptable? Like suggest that someone give up bugging the p*ss out of me? Or suggest that your neighbor give up parking in front of your driveway? Maybe I'll suggest that Mastercard give up charging me intereston on that pesky balance for the remainder of Lent?

Would it work?

DK said...

did you give up posting on your site for lent??

DK said...

I realize that this is still topical since it isn't Easter yet, but I need something to go on here! Please. Make the days seem shorter!!

If you don't post soon I'll just spend the day posting pics of my dog and that won't do! He's shy of the papparazzi! (I am so certain I misspelled that....)

IGA said...

I'll post, ok...

Anna B said...

postsecret is MY favorite.

You can't have everything, sister.