Tuesday, April 10, 2007

LOVE ME IF YOU DARE


Occasionally a piece of pop culture comes along and it stays with you. It has an impact that is undeniable.
I am not talking about fads like Cabbage Patch Kids or hip television shows. I am talking about art that uses pop culture as it's medium. Great works of cinema or music that linger long after you've been exposed to them; pieces that haunt you and plague your thoughts.
I was reminded last night of one such piece. A new friend and I were discussing our love of film, and foreign films specifically. I told him that I recalled seeing a film a few years back, and it had stayed with me all of these years. The plot was perhaps one of the most romantic ideas I'd ever encountered - or perhaps ever will. He immediately recalled the film - LOVE ME IF YOU DARE.
The film is a french film, Jeux d'enfants, which was released in 2003. It tells the story of childhood friends who develop a game. The game is built of off escalating dares. Eventually, the dares wreak havoc on the lives of the young boy and girl, isolating them from their family and friends. Over time the two grow apart - until there is an epiphany that they are the true loves of each other's lives.

I will not reveal the ending, but I'd encourage you to rent this film. I might just do the same....

Here's to new friends and old movies!

3 comments:

DK said...

YOU POSTED!!!

I am so excited....and I haven't even read it yet!!

DK said...

Does it have subtitles or is it dubbed over?

Will M kill me for renting and making him watch?

What are some other pop culture ideas that have stuck with you??

IGA said...

The film was in English, if I recall. If not, it was subtitled.
Vague, huh?

I'll work on posting on some more pop culture stuff.